The 2019-20 Syracuse basketball schedule continues to come into focus. Here are the latest details on their scheduled nonconference matchup vs Oakland.
The Syracuse basketball squad has officially scheduled a nonconference game vs the Oakland Golden Grizzlies to be played on December 18 in the Carrier Dome.
These two squads have faced off three times previously in history and all of those outings took place in the loud house:
- 2008: SU beat Okalnd by 20 (86-66) back in November of 2008.
- 2009: Orange won by 32 points in December of 2009 (92-60)
- 2017: While the most recent matchup saw SU slide by with a 74-50 win.
The Orange may be 3-0 in this “rivalry”, but this contest will feature a battle of worldly coaches who have stacked a lot of wins over the years.
Jim Boeheim is embarking on his 44th season at the helm for SU. While Oakland is led by Greg Kampe who is heading towards his 36th season with the Golden Grizzlies.
Greg has produced some outstanding results during his time with the program. His overall coaching record is 618-455 which is a .575 winning percentage.
Last year the squad was under .500 (16-17 overall) which was good enough for a third-place finish in the Horizon league, per the official Syracuse press release.
The player to watch out for is redshirt senior forward Xavier Hill-Mais. He led the team in points (18.3) and rebounds (7.2) last season.
Although per Chris Carlson of Syracuse.com two key contributors have moved on:
- While the only other player on the roster to average double-digit points was senior guard Jaevin Cumberland who wasn’t far behind with (17.2 points per contest). He has transferred to play for Cincinnati.
- Although a sensational freshman, now a sophomore, is Braden Norris who shot 48.6 percent from long range this past season. He played in 33 games last season. But he also left via transfer and will play at Loyola this Fall.
While the Orange finished 20-14 and got back to the NCAA tournament in 2018-19. SU quickly exited with a one-and-done trip for the first time since 2006.
The lone returning starter from last season is Elijah Hughes at forward.
Tickets are on sale online at Cuse.com/tickets or you can also phone in at 888-DOMETIX (888-366-3849).
The press release also shared all the information we know about the 2019-20 schedule so far:
Date Day Opponent Time Arena
- Oct. 26 Sat. DAEMEN (Exhibition) TBD Dome
- Oct. 29 Tues. CARLETON, Canada (Exhibition) TBD Dome
- Nov. 6 Wed. VIRGINIA TBD Dome
- Nov. 20 Wed. CORNELL TBD Dome
- Nov. 27 Wed. NIT Season Tipoff vs. Ole Miss/Oklahoma State/Penn State TBD Barclay Center
- Nov. 29 Fri. NIT Season Tipoff TBD Barclays Center
- Dec. 14 Sat. at Georgetown TBD Capital One Arena
- Dec. 18 Wed. OAKLAND TBD Dome